Sunday, February 12, 2017

Everyday Thanksgiving

Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever.                                                                                                                                     (1 Chronicles 16:34)

America is a place where I can live in relative comfort.  The supply of fresh water is bountiful and the nearby supermarkets are filled with fresh food of all types.  There is not an imminent of threat of bombs repeatedly dropping on my dwelling.  I do not have the stress of worrying about when the next coup will come.  There is quiet at night when I am ready to go to sleep.  I do not walk but drive over paved streets in a car.  I have experienced the stability of being well-educated with good healthcare.  My internet works as does my television.  Most importantly, I can worship God out in the open without fear of punishment.  I know the blessings continually flow into my life because I was born in America.  But does that mean I cannot speak of having even greater things?  

I will not stop complaining about the state of the union in my blog.  It is because the words full of frustration are not for me.  It is for my niece and every child like her.  They must have a place where they can grow up to be the best they can be.  They need to hear, every day, how beautiful they are and what a good job they are doing while they are shielded from the destructiveness of being judged for superficial attributes.  My mother and father who have lived through the upheaval of the Civil Rights Movement should not experience the disappointment of seeing the fires of revolution fade away.  Liberty and justice cannot become an American dream deferred.  It is mostly for you.  I want to be a squeaky wheel that makes us all listen to everyone else.  

There are so many broken dreams, dashed hopes, and hearts filled with discontent in this country.  Sadly, they are not being acknowledged nearly enough.  This is why I thank the Lord that America is a place where anyone can disagree with how the government conducts our national business, but she does not have to be afraid of being jailed or killed.  We can harness the power of words, plant a seed in the consciousness of many, and see something magnificent grow in our country.     

No comments:

Post a Comment